The Super Seven
Every Sunday I wake up and for a couple of seconds I hate hockey, the MFP, South African Breweries and whatever demented Mexican freak invented Tequila. But every time I haul my ass out of bed, get kitted out and head through to meet you guys. By the time I've arrived and the Disprin is starting to work its transformational magic my attitude has changed and every weekend as the banter starts rolling I catch myself thinking how lucky I am to play in this side with such an awesome bunch of blokes.Why so emotional you ask?
A 9am game in Vereeniging was never going to be an easy sell - but what happened yesterday was ridiculous. The worst turnout to a MFP game I've ever seen. 7 people! I'm not going to dwell on what this means, I'll get an e-mail through later to open some talk about it.
The game itself was surprisingly good all things considered. The V-Town guys agreed to play and pretty soon were wondering if that was such a good idea as a brilliant Pop-Skeg-Grays short corner combo put us in front within the 1st five minutes! Quite amazing. They came back and scored 2 in about 20 minutes or so following which we won a shorty and the P-S-G combo blatted home a carbon-copy second taking us into half time at 2-2! 7 vs 11, phenomenal commitment.
The second half was tough, they raised their game and we got tired, really really tired! Final score 5-2 down (including 2 very suspect goals), a result I'll gladly take from 7 guys all of whom played out of their boots. Well done blokes, real balls. Oh and Juan Juanandes underestimated the distance and arrived with 5 minutes left on the clock... too little too late unfortunately, but he did come through! Great effort from everyone, Trent, as always, had a stormer, Skeg soldiered through broken knees after the Knysna Marathon, Fronk - rock solid and Muzz and Andrew the Ringer were all over the park. Muzzy even managed to hold the stick with both hands, just for a moment but such baby steps are promising.
Fines followed and the V-town blokes were great value, their highlight being "the Bear" - pictured above - in which some poor punter had to quaff a beer through sweaty Bear under-rods! Sis.
Muzz, trying to look mean in front of the beautiful Lara, took home the Punchy Caver Suit for the first time in a while after a pretty funny altercation; Grays, perhaps a bit unfairly, won himself Nataniel's gay play of the day and the well deserved MoM for his "Brace" off the shorties.
I got frog marched by anti-fines Dodkins (I'm blaming Skeg, the worst snitch in history) and despite my very best efforts won the tiger with a spectacular display behind the trees. The two hours sleep from a beast of a Saturday night definitely contributed to this one.

Following fines and on the advice of Nico, who came all the way through just to blow the whistle - cheers for that Nico, we moved through to the V-Town Country Club where we had lunch and a few more drinks. Fantastic venue where we all enjoyed an afternoon on the deck, in the sun, overlooking the river, plotting ways of making sure we never have this kind of turnout again.
We went our separate ways from there - Frank and Grays for a few Stellas somewhere, Skeg and I met up with the lovely Kath (yes, I had a word about her not coming to the game!) for a few in Melville and Trent and Andrew - well... I think the best way of capturing this is to quote directly from the e-mail I received this morning. Classic stuff!
"As you may have noticed Andrew and I took the more scenic route back from V-town, along the way we managed to find the Rock In gentlemans club which was disappointingly shut (despite the presence of a rather ominous looking granny with a hose pipe) fortunately next door was the Sunrise Cafe, a fantastic little place where two chappies and a quart cost a mere R8, seen below me celebrating the value of an R8 quart with Wiseman."
Look out for the mail about this one gents, it's on its way. To those guys who came through, thanks (particularly Nico an Skeg, both of whom were injured), to those who FTP'd - moose form, the death list is rising, and to everyone, we can't have this again.
<< Home